Monday, December 5, 2011

Wordle

 



I don't know if you know what a Wordle is, but it's sort of a word art thing where you take a huge chunk of text and this program reads it and finds the most frequently used words, which are largest, and least frequently used words, which are smallest, and then arranges them artistically in sort of a "word cloud".  Something else the program does is get rid of words like "the" and "I" and "it", etc, to make the Wordle more interesting.  Anyway, I made one using every single post on my blog.  Sadly, I have no way to put the image on here, and the only way I could get it on here was to print it out and then scan that, so hopefully it's readable and looks ok.  I'm sorry about that.
Random thought for the day:  Today I finally made that dulce de leche.  I would NOT advise it!  It took me hours (okay, it would have taken less time if I'd read the directions more carefully and used whole milk instead of 1%, but still.)  Anyway, my arm feels about ready to fall off after all that stirring, and I ended up having to add starch to it to get it thick enough.  It also took a really long time to get it the right color.  But now that it's done and delicious, the big question is: Was it really worth it??
Another random thought:  Remember the post where I was listing all these holidays in December, and one of them was Monkey Day?  I had no clue what that was until today, when I finally decided to look it up.  According to Wikipedia, it's celebrated on December 14, and originated in 2000.  It's celebrated in the U.S., Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom.  So what is it?  Apparently, it's celebrated by costume parties, and a lot of other monkey-related activities, including contests to see who can act like a monkey the longest, speed knitting of monkey dolls, sharing monkey stories, shopping sprees on Paul Frank merchandise, eating Chunky Monkey ice cream, spending the day at the zoo, and chimp art auctions.  Sounds like fun, and it's for a good cause too, because the sole purpose of monkey day is to encourage us to give some thought to our simian friends, directing our attention to issues like Evolution, medical research, and animal rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment