Wednesday, December 7, 2011

R.I.P Borders

I hate to say it, but we live in an age where an excellent bookstore can be driven out of business by a hunk of plastic with a screen.  Ironic, I know, for me to be saying this, because I was discussing a few posts ago about how I'm getting a Kindle Fire, but that's more for the purposes of the environmental crises rather than because I enjoy reading off a screen.  I don't.  It's more that the world's trees could do without magazines people will just throw away after reading once and cheapo paperback romance novels that will live on a shelf all their lives before being donated to some book sale or another, where they will then live on another shelf even longer until they are eventually thrown away because no one wanted them.  It's funny because up until recently I was completely opposed to the idea of e Readers, but I guess they've grown on me a bit.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE books, I love the way the pages and cover feel, and how certain books smell certain ways (my favorites are very old book smell and brand-new book smell; they're both very distinctive and very excellent).  I love the library and I love bookstores and I love reading.  And I loved Borders, before they were driven out of business by the Kindle.  And that's why I'm here to tell you today to keep your independent bookstores open (Page One is one of the last ones in town).  So please: think of the books.  On a similar note, something else that is in trouble is the post office.  I can't even begin to say how sad I am about that.  I love writing (and receiving) letters, and the sad fact of the matter is that there really isn't anything of a future in the post office, and that's because of one word: email.  So the next time someone's birthday is coming up, maybe mail them a card instead of sending an e-card.  If you feel like talking to your friend who moved away, write them a letter instead of sending an email.  Send postcards when you go on a trip.  Write letters just for the fun of it.  Mail boxes through the post office, not UPS or FedEx or other companies like that.  Stand up to the electronic revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment