Tuesday, June 21, 2011

East Coast Trip-- Sunshine, Beaches, and Driving Galore

About three days ago, I got back from a wonderful trip to the East Coast, upon which I visited Maryland, Delaware, Washington DC, and Philadelphia, and stayed in an AMAZING hotel (Big shout-out to Comfort Suites Maryland :D).  Below I've outlined each place by best part about it, worst part about it, and yummiest thing I ate there.
  Place:    Maryland
Best Part(s):     The NASA Goddard museum, Edgar Allen Poe's Grave, and the wonderful (and huge) Value Village thrift store
Worst part(s):   The market downtown was really sketchy and some of the cities were too (as well as a Sleep Inn that doesn't deserve mention)
Yummiest:      An amazing Margarita pizza I had at an Italian Restaurant the day I arrived

Place:     Delaware
Best Part(s):   How nice downtown was- you could walk around, and there were restaurants and little stores lining the streets, and people walking around.... it had a really good feel.  Also the beach-- it was big, nice, and really fun!
Worst Part(s):  There really weren't any-- I loved it!
Yummiest:         Rita's Ice Cream stands- they were scattered around, but the one downtown was my favorite- and their choco-vanilla swirl frozen custards weren't to be scoffed at either!

Place:      Philadelphia
Best Part(s):   The Chemical Heritage Foundation Museum- A nerd's dream come true
Worst Part(s):    Polish-American Museum: They suckered you in with these signs of delicious-looking Polish Water Ices, so I went in because I was hot and thirsty, and looked at the boring displays to be polite, and then there wasn't any water ice at all; just an old lady at a desk.  Also the Liberty Bell, which was way smaller than expected and crowded with tourists.
Yummiest:    A pretzel from the market that you could stand there and see them make-- Fresh, buttery..... Best pretzel EVER and possibly best food of the entire trip.

Place:      Washington DC
Best Part(s):   The science part of the Smithsonian History museum, as well as the Pop Culture section and the instrument room that had the ornate Stradivarius quartet, the Air & Space museum, and the modern portion of the National Gallery.  And yes, I saw the DaVinci.
Worst Part(s):   The amount of walking was insane (I took the metro), and my feet were so sore at the end of the day I could barely walk, and I had to take the next day off to just swim and sight see near the hotel to rest my poor feet.
Yummiest:   Ethiopian food.  I had never had it before, but U Street downtown had at least four of them;I guess it was the Ethiopian district.  I chose the restaurant that was busiest, and it was delicious, yet extremely filling and far more food than I could eat.

So, you've gotten a taste of the East Coast from me.  Please post comments with your own East Coast experiences, or if you have something to add......

No comments:

Post a Comment