Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Local Toynbee Tile





If you found out that there was a mysterious Toynbee tile only a short distance away from your house, what would you do? The answer, I think, is simple: You get up at an ungodly hour of the morning on a Sunday, drive downtown, and photograph it.  Which is what I did, and here is the photo I took [top] (actually, the one I'm posting was taken by my brother, but I took some too.), as well as a tile from Boise, Idaho with the same message, but more legibly [bottom]. If you compare the font on these tiles to the original ones, however, they look quite different, so I think that it is probably not an original tile. Nevertheless, it is still awesome.

In case you can't read it, this one says:

HOUSE OF HADES
ONE MAN VERSUS
AMERICAN MEDIA
IN SOCIETY [date]

(The date has completely worn off so I have no clue when it was from, but it looks rather old.  Also the bottom is illegible on mine, but on the other one it says, "We must work harder to punish them for all they have done." On the top one, it almost looks like the first word is murder, but I'm not certain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment