Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Crazy Coincidences




Tile in Portland
Tile in Boise
Tile in St. Louis
(top: Portland)
(bottom: Manhattan; I apologize that it's so blurry...)

Okay, I know I've blogged a LOT about Toynbee tiles, but that's because they are really, really fascinating to me (just like the black hole obsession I had a while back.)  Starting today I'm going to begin adding labels to all of my posts, so if you just aren't that interested in resurrecting dead on Jupiter, just look for the Toynbee Tile tag and then don't read those posts! Easy as that!

But I absolutely had to talk about this, because I have found the most bizarre coincidence.
The strange "House of Hades" Toynbee tiles I keep finding downtown have turned up other places as well-- with identical fonts and side images.  When I first discovered an image of a tile (top) that was a twin of one I'd found myself, I nearly started hyperventilating, I was so excited.

At first, I'd thought that since the college was downtown, it was likely that the ones I'd discovered were just an art project done as a tribute by a college student.
But then I found a photo of it's twin in Oregon, which prompted an Internet search that led me to photos of tiles in Missouri, Idaho, and New York.

I have composed a list of places where other tiles that have clearly been done by the same person have been spotted:

Portland, Oregon,
Boise, Idaho,
Albuquerque, New Mexico,
New York City, New York,
 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
St. Louis, Missouri, and
Kansas City, Missouri.

I am attaching photos of ones that have identical messages or images to those that I have found, which you can compare to my last post.  Since many of them are on Flickr, they're copyrighted, thus I can't post them here, but I will put links which I strongly encourage you to follow if this interests you.

Keep your eyes peeled for any tiles near you, especially if you live in any of the above places, then post comments or email me photos of them (thetoothpickchick@gmail.com.)  If you have any places to add to my list, PLEASE let me know, and give me any pictures you can find!  Thanks!!



No comments:

Post a Comment